Invest EU: 2021-27 EU investment plan | CDP

Invest EU

CDP's role in the European investment Programme for relaunching the economy

The programme

As the successor of the Juncker Plan for the period 2021-2027, InvestEU is the flagship programme of the European Union to boost private investment in Europe and foster growth and competitiveness. The Program consists of three building blocks:

  • The InvestEU Fund, which will offer an EU budget guarantee - amounting to around €26bn - to back investment products provided by Implementing Partners. The Fund targets projects that generate added value for the EU, are consistent with EU policy objectives and would have difficulties in accessing finance due to their risk profile.
  • The InvestEU Advisory Hub, which provides support for project development in the form of advisory services and accompanying measures during the entire investment cycle. The Advisory Hub facilitates the design and development of projects supported by the InvestEU Fund and improves access to finance.
  • The InvestEU Portal, which brings together investors and project promoters and provides easily accessible data on projects that are seeking funding.
Invest EU key numbers

26.2bn €

EU guarantee

372bn €

Expected investments

1bn €

In support of CDP Group investments

Almeno 30% degli investimenti destinato ad obiettivi climatici

The InvestEU Policy Windows

The InvestEU guarantee will operate through four windows:

  • Sustainable infrastructure
  • Research, innovation and digitisation
  • Small and medium-sized companies
  • Social investment and skills

The total guarantee of €26.1 billion operates indirectly through guarantee agreements signed between the Commission and the Implementing Partners (such as CDP). 75% of the guarantee is implemented through the European Investment Bank Group (EIB and EIF) and the remaining 25% directly through the other partners. CDP applied for the role of Commission's Implementing Partner for the InvestEU Programme and, after signing the Guarantee Agreement, will be able to carry out financial operations guaranteed by the InvestEU Fund in the four windows of the programme.

The Pillar Assessment

CDP has successfully completed the accreditation process necessary to ensure the compliance of its systems, rules and procedures with the relevant European legislation. As a "pillar assessed" entity, CDP will be eligible to manage all European programmes whose implementation is delegated by the Commission to Implementing Partners.

The Steering Board

The Steering Board oversees the implementation of the Programme and puts forward strategic and operational guidance for the Implementing Partners. On April 29th, 2021 the 10 current members of the Steering Board were appointed, including four representatives of the European Commission, one representative of the European Parliament, three representatives of the EIB Group and two representatives of the Implementing Partners other than the EIB.

CDP and PMV (the Belgian National Promotional Institution) were appointed by the European Commission as the two members representing approximately thirty potential Implementing Partners of the InvestEU Programme other than the EIB.

More precisely, CDP represents large and medium-sized National Promotional Institutions and Banks (Bpifrance, BGK, CDC, ICO, KfW), the Council of Europe Development Bank (CEB), the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the Nordik Investment Bank (NIB). PMV represents, instead, the relatively smaller-size NPBIs (e.g. Banco Português de Fomento - Bpfomento, Malta Development Bank - MDB, Strategic Banking Corporation of Ireland - SBCI, Ceskomoravska Zarucni a Rozvojova Banka - CMZRB). The appointment of CPD and PMV was unanimously supported by all the potential Implementing Partners other than the EIB.

The Juncker Plan

CDP's role in the implementation of the Investment Plan for Europe
View details