Franco Bassanini, former Italian Cabinet Minister for Public Administration and Regional Affairs (1996-2001) and Professor of Constitutional Law at the First University of Rome, is now Chairman of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (the most important Italian long term investor in the fields of infrastructures, energy, and public utilities) and President of Astrid Foundation, an Italian think tank gathering together about 350 scientists and experts in the field of European institutions, public policies, public administration's reform, market regulation and e-government (www.astrid.eu). He is President of the Executive board of Metroweb Italia SpA and President of the LTIC, Long-Term Investors Club, Vice President of the Inframed Fund and Vice-President of the ELTI, Association of long-term investors of the European Union. He is also member of the Supervisory Board of the 2020 European Fund for Energy, Climate Change and Infrastructure (Marguerite Fund) and of the French Commission pour la Libération de la Croissance française, chaired by Jacques Attali.
Since November 2014 he is President of CDP RETI Spa.
Franco Bassanini was Cabinet Minister for Public Administration and Regional Affairs in the Italian Government led by Romano Prodi (1996-1998), Under-secretary of State to Prime Minister's Office and responsible for the Cabinet Office in the first Government led by Massimo D'Alema (1998-1999), Cabinet Minister for Public Administration in the second Government led by Massimo D'Alema (1999-2000) and in the second Government led by Giuliano Amato (2000-2001). During those years, he carried out a wide and comprehensive reform program of the Italian administrative system.
Franco Bassanini has been member of Italian Parliament from 1979 to 2006. He has also been member of the E.N.A. (Ecole Nationale d'Administration) Executive Board (2001-2005), of the Comité d'évaluation des strategies ministérielles de réforme (2003-2005), of the Commission pour le financement du codéveloppement de la Méditerranée, and of the High Level Panel of the U.N. ICT Task Force (2001-2006). In Italian Parliament, he has been Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee for Monetary Policy and Budget (1987-1990) and Chairman of the Parliamentary Group of the Independent Left (1988-1991).
From 1965 to 2001 Franco Bassanini has taught at the Universities of Milan, Trento, Sassari, Florence and Rome. He is the author of 18 books and about 300 academic articles on issues of constitutional law, economic law, political science, European law and administrative law. (www.bassanini.it)
- F. Bassanini - G. Tiberi, La Costituzione europea. Un primo commento, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2004
- F. Bassanini - G. Macciotta, L'attuazione del federalismo fiscale, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2004
- F. Bassanini, Costituzione. Una riforma sbagliata, Firenze, Passigli, 2004
- L. Torchia - F. Bassanini, Sviluppo o declino. Il ruolo delle istituzioni per la competitività del Paese, Firenze, Passigli, 2005
- A. Manzella - F. Bassanini, Per far funzionare il Parlamento, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2007
- F. Bassanini - L. Castelli, Semplificare l’Italia. Stato, Regioni, enti locali, Firenze, Passigli, 2008
- F. Bassanini - M.T. Salvemini, Il finanziamento dell’Europa, Firenze , Passigli 2010
- F. Bassanini - G. Tiberi, Le nuove istituzioni europee. Commento al Trattato di Lisbona, Bologna, II ed. agg., Il Mulino, 2010
Among the papers and articles written by Franco Bassanini, many are in English and can be downloaded from the websites www.bassanini.it and www.astrid.eu .